If you’re a marketer who manages an e-commerce site, you’d surely want to look at this infographic.
Monetate’s Peter Borden gives us some tips on how to fix sites to stop customers from abandoning their shopping carts.
Borden shows why 75% of online shoppers leave their shopping cart without purchasing. Some of these reasons include having a bad checkout page and problematic shopping system.
In this infographic, he gives us some tips on how to design the perfect checkout page and a list of the best practices we can follow to make sure the conversion process is a success.
Here are some key points:
Checkout Page Design
To create the perfect checkout page, you’ve got to make sure that customers can:
- Easily see their progress
- Make changes to their purchases anytime without repeating the steps
- Choose from a wide range of payment options
- Feel secure when they see third party security reinforcement logos like VeriSign
When designing your checkout page, make sure you include the following:
- Progress indicator
- Calls to action
- Back links
- Toll-free telephone number
- Save cart option
- Diverse payment options
- Site security logos
- Product Thumbnails
Marketing Strategy Dos and Don’ts
- If you decide to cross-sell, you should be careful where, when, and how you do it.
- Make everything transparent; don’t hide information such as shipping costs or show it at the last second as this can aggravate customers and lead to shopping cart abandonment.
- Avoid forcing customers to register to avoid inconvenience – make sure your site offers guest checkout option.
- Reassure your customers at each stage.
- Show them the product warranty and important information they might look for while shopping.
- Offer price guarantees to assure the customers that they are getting the best rate for the product and prevent them from checking out competitor sites.
- Prevent errors at all costs because system issues can void the sale.
- Feature your customer testimonials. Feedback from other clients can encourage the customer to purchase more and to trust the site’s e-commerce system.
- Avoid offering unnecessary coupon codes which might make the customers leave the site to search for the code.