A successful conversion strategy is the Holy Grail of digital marketing. What makes conversion a bit of a tricky business for some companies is the fact that there are a number of paths that can lead to it.
Because of this, many find it a challenge to nail the right formula for a highly engaging landing page strategy that truly converts.
For those who have limited knowledge on creating and implementing strategies for conversion, we have summarised the below Infographic from IonInteractive.com.
Let’s look at some figures to drive the point home and see why some strategies fail to convert:
- Only 52% of companies find it necessary to personalise their content. That’s a paltry sum considering the fact that personalisation is a fundamental conversion factor.
- 61% of companies do less than 5 landing page tests per month. If you’ve cracked the “conversion code” on the fifth test, that’s fine. But if you don’t, would you just leave things to chance?
- More than 20% of companies say they don’t have landing page testing strategy in place. Testing to see what works is crucial. The old adage that states “If you build it, they will come” no longer cuts it.
- Companies that have seen improved conversion rate aren’t complacent. In fact, they use 50% more ways to segment their visitors and companies to understand their market even more.
Now on to our business for today. Let’s walk down the path outlined in the infographic from IonInteractive.com showing how to effectively achieve conversion.
The Road to Conversion – The Landing Page
The landing page is an extremely important piece of online real estate. It is within this single page where all your efforts must be concentrated to influence your customers’ buying behaviour.
But just how do you influence your customers’ buying behaviour?
- User experience. User experience is not just about great landing page layout. More importantly, it’s all about providing highly relevant information to users that resonates with them instantly. From the headline down to the call to action, users feel that the landing page understands the uniqueness of their needs and it speaks to them about what they truly want.
- Brand connection. Use language that would emotionally connect your customers to your brand. In other words, deliver on your brand’s promise. Is your brand all about making your customers feel happy? Does your brand promise to ease their pains or increase their pleasure? Whatever emotion your product promises to evoke, make sure it connects to the right customers by using the right language within your landing page.
- Focused content. The landing page acts as a catapult that propels your customers higher up on the sales process. But is your landing page doing just that? Is it moving your customers forward? Is it generating enough interest for your customers? From magnetic headlines to powerful hooks, a reassuring promise of benefits and to compelling calls to action, each section of your landing page should seamlessly move your customers forward to clicking the button.
Whatever action you would like your audience to take, whether it’s to “buy now” or “subscribe”, your next strategies would determine how quickly they become a lead, or whether they would become a lead at all.
- Targeted conversations. One of the main aspects of your post-click strategies is targeted conversations. By constantly using language that will make your visitors aware that they are in the right place with the right product or service that they were looking for, you are bound to inevitably convert them to buying customers.
- Testing. Testing also holds the key to figuring out what works and what doesn’t. Some of the areas that you should constantly test are forms, segmentation, headlines, layout and buttons. Testing allows you to see what works in terms of getting more leads, holding the visitors’ interest and influencing their buying emotions.
- SEM quality score. While it’s crucial to test how your strategies work, you should also pay attention to your SEM quality scores. You could be only focusing on the human factor of your landing page, but neglecting the aspects that are essential to your paid advertising ranking.
If you’ve successfully converted some of your visitors into buying customers, congratulations! However, don’t be complacent. Online marketing is constantly evolving, as is human behaviour. What works today for business today could be obsolete next month. Similarly, what piques consumers interest today may no longer work tomorrow. People have a natural tendency to grow tired of old strategies.
That’s why it’s crucial to always test strategies. Also, pay attention to clues as to what consumers are expecting from you and in which areas you might need improvement.
Optimising your landing page to maximise conversation can be quite a challenge. But by following the strategies outlined above, you will create for your business a sustainable online property that will provide you with leads you can market to over and over again.
Or you can try out what we at Traffika have been doing to optimise landing pages for better conversion for our clients. Tools such as Ion Liveball will help you take the drudgery out from creating landing pages that truly convert.
If you want to find out more about improving your landing page’s conversion rate contact us or call us at 1300 853 597.
Thumbnail image courtesy of FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Infographic from IonInteractive.com